Well, it’s officially football season and that means it’s time to start thinking about warm and comforting soups, chowders and chilies. Even here in Playa del Carmen, the winter can get a bit chilly and a nice warm bowl of soup can be just the thing to keep you going. The sweet corn benefits from a kick of smoky chipotle which offers a nice balance of flavor to this creamy soup. If you have nice fresh, sweet corn by all means use it. The kernels from 10 steamed cobs should do. As it is hard to find good corn in this part of Mexico, we have to make due with the frozen variety. Either way, this soup is easy and satisfying.
5 cups frozen corn kernels
2 tbsp unsalted butter (1/4 stick)
1 medium sized shallot, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp chipotles in adobo, seeded and minced
2 tsp kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 scallions or chives, sliced
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups water
1. Defrost corn. Set aside 1 cup of the kernels.
2. In a large saucepan or dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat until foaming. Add chipotles, sliced shallots, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and a pinch of black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots have softened, about 3 minutes.
3. Add corn kernels, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, milk, and water and stir to combine. Increase heat to medium high and bring mixture to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until flavors meld (about 15 minutes).
4. Set a fine-mesh strainer over a large, heatproof bowl. Using a blender, carefully purée the soup in batches until smooth. Pour the blended soup through the strainer, pressing on the solids with a spatula. Discard the solids.
5. Stir in the reserved cup of corn kernels. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Garnish with scallions or chives and serve.
Yield: 4 servings
Meatless Monday is an international campaign that encourages people to not eat meat on Mondays to improve their health and the health of the planet. Reducing meat consumption by 15% (the equivalent of one day a week) lessens the risk of chronic preventable illness and has a strong positive impact on the environment.