More than just a pretty garnish, pickled onions are a staple of Yucatecan cuisine and used across all of Mexico to accompany various dishes. Here is an easy recipe that you can use to make these flavorful pink onions at home!
- 2 medium red onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups juice of bitter orange (naranja agria) (about 6 oranges)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 jalapeño pepper, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- 2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add onions and blanch for about 15 seconds. Drain well and set aside.
- Combine bitter orange juice, sugar, and salt in a large non-reactive bowl. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add blanched onion slices, garlic and jalapeño, and stir to coat thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Remove jalapeno and garlic before serving.
*If you cannot find naranja agria in your local market, you can substitute 1/2 cup fresh lime juice and 1 cup of orange juice.