After the great success of Taste of Playa 2009, the Volunteer Executive Committee has decided to run the event again with some new ideas, new participants, and more corporate support. We will be maintaining the basic premise of this destination event: to celebrate the culinary and cultural influences of chefs in the Riviera Maya and highlighting the culinary revolution that is eminent in Mexico.
The event remains in the same location, Parque Fundadores and will see the return of DJ SOMOS who provided the great world music. Participants from last year will be returning to WOW attendees yet again and our sponsors are more than eager to lend financial support.
After a review of the event in 2009, and feedback from all involved, we have tweaked and changed some of ideas from last year. We would like to introduce some of the new items and volunteer Executive Committee Chairs for Taste of Playa 2010.
1. We welcome Ellen DeJong, yoga teacher, instructor and owner or Yoga by the Way as the Chair of Volunteers. Ellen worked as a subcommittee member last year and decided to head up one of the most important parts of the event, our volunteer recruitment and management. Welcome Ellen and we appreciate all your support of the event.
2. Armando Elizalde joins us as the Chair of Finances so that we can continue to donate to a not for profit food program in the Riviera Maya. This years Beneficiary is the Rotary Club, who have initiated a new food and nutrition education program for children and families in the Riviera Maya. Armando has also brought his marketing and graphics expertise to the group and assists on other committees. Thank you Armando for supporting Taste of Playa 2010 in so many different ways!
3. Susan De Lima has joined us the Operations Chair and brings a wealth of expertise to the table. Being in the food and restaurant industry for many years, Susan will be planning the daily operations of this event. This is not a small task and we welcome her aboard.
4. The date has been moved to November 21, 2010 so we avoid the heat and still capture the beauty of the Caribbean fall evenings. Being the only food event with the Caribbean ocean as the backdrop, we thought it would be nice to have a greater mix of day and night. The event hours are the same, 3 pm to 9 pm but with daylight savings time, we will have a nicely lit evening enjoying all of the ‘samples’ provided by the chefs.
4. Tickets will be sold online up to and including the dates of July 1 2010 to October 31, 2010. If you want to get an early head start on your purchase go to http://www.tasteofplaya.com and purchase your tickets in advance. VIP passes are limited and the sale of these tickets will stop once we have met our limit, so don’t delay! Bulk online purchases of the Playa pesos will receive significant savings if you buy online. After October 31, tickets can be purchased at designated selling outlets which will be announced closer to the time.
5. Taste of Playa Online retail store will be launched July 1, 2010 and will carry clothing, Mexican cooking utensils and basic Mexican produced food items that can be shipped to other countries. Check it out on our website at http://www.tasteofplaya.com
6. 40 restaurants and bars will participate in this years event to make this over 40% larger! This is great and we are happy to see such a positive response from local restaurants. If you are interested in participating this year please email Monica at firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Sponsorship opportunities have expanded and the committee has added some great marketing benefits to new levels. If you are interested in Sponsorship for your business, please contact Mitch at email@example.com
8. Our community donation will go the Rotary Club in Playa del Carmen to support a food and nutrition education initiative that will assist people in making healthy food choices. We look forward to nurturing this relationship and to support one of the largest not for profits in the area.
We wish to thank all supporters and volunteers who make this event happen. A special thank you goes out to the Executive Committee members who tirelessly put together this event as volunteers, and work around the clock to make it happen. The Riviera Maya is a culinary jewel and all of us are proud to show the world what talent and products we have in the area.
See you November 21, 2010 in Parque Fundadores at 3 pm!